WHO WE ARE

Intelligence Corps

Knowledge gives strength to the arm

The Intelligence Corps is the intelligence gathering wing of the British Army. With 1,850 Regular and 1,350 Reserve personnel, it’s one of the smallest corps in the Army – but what it lacks in size, it more than makes up for in influence.

Manui Dat Cognitio Vires

FACTS & FIGURES

Icon_Formed.svg

ACTIVE FROM

15 July 1940

Icon_Role.svg

ROLE

Intelligence

Icon_Speacialism.svg

SPECIALISM

Operational Intelligence

our skills

Intelligence is vital to the Army’s success. Highly trained Intelligence Corps soldiers work behind the scenes, gathering and interpreting information and passing it along to commanders so they can make important tactical decisions.

  • Operational intelligence
  • Counter intelligence and security
  • Imagery intelligence
  • Signals intelligence
  • Close passive surveillance
  • Human intelligence
  • Cyber intelligence
  • Languages

Classified

The Intelligence Corps is currently deployed in over 20 active operations across the globe.

We have troops serving in Africa, Middle East, Europe and other destinations which are classified. 

Our People

A career in the Intelligence Corps presents mental and physical challenges which require people skills, intelligence and a thirst for knowledge and adventure. In return you can look forward to pushing personal boundaries as well as making a real difference to operations around the world.

Whether you join the Intelligence Corps as a Regular or Reservist there is a vast variety of opportunities for you to consider.

Our locations

Intelligence Corps Officers and Soldiers are located across the world. Wherever there is a military operation, you will find a member of the Corps in some capacity.

Approximately 55% of the Intelligence Corps is employed within the 1st Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) Brigade (Bde)  this is inclusive of the Military Intelligence Battalions (MI Bn) with the other 45% of the Corps roles in wider Defence.

Intelligence Corps

Intelligence Corps

Everyday is a fresh challenge Ben, 25

Our Role

Now more than ever, military operations rely upon timely, accurate intelligence. The information gathered by the Intelligence Corps gives commanders the confidence to plan and execute their operations effectively.

Intelligence Corps soldiers know the how, why and where of any situation, using their guile and resourcefulness to stay one step ahead of the enemy. They play a vital role in the British Army’s decision making processes and in protecting its operations from hostile interests.

In modern warfare, knowledge really is power.

Past to Present

With origins dating back to the days of the British Empire, the Intelligence Corps was formally established in 1914. Ever since, it has provided crucial intelligence support in all conflicts and crises with UK involvement, from the World War I to the campaign against ISIL.

  1. 1899-1901

    The first large scale British Army intelligence element is formed during the Boer War.

  2. 1909-12

    Military Intelligence 5 and 6 are formed.

  3. 1914

    Intelligence Corps formed and subsequently disbanded up on war’s completion, despite success.

  4. 1940

    Intelligence Corps reformed.

  5. 1947-91

    The Corps plays a major role in counter intelligence and espionage during the Cold War.

  6. 1945-Present

    The Corps continues to provide intelligence support to UK operations.