We provide Armoured Artillery Support
1st Regiment Royal Horse Artillery is an armoured artillery regiment. Its primary role is to provide combat support to heavy armour formations.
Equipped with the AS90 self-propelled gun, 1st Regiment Royal Horse Artillery is capable of delivering indirect fire support at ranges of up to 24.7 kilometres.
Although a young Regiment formed in only 1938, its sub-units date back to 1793 and have deployed in all major conflicts since the Anglo-French War.
In our current role, providing armoured artillery support to the 20th Armoured Infantry Brigade, our soldiers are serving all over the globe.
Facts & Figures
11 May 1938
1 RHA is an armoured artillery regiment equipped with the AS90 self-propelled gun. We provide indirect fire support at distances up to 24.7 kilometres. In this role we offer a diverse range of skills, including:
- Artillery fire support – accurately firing 55 kilogram shells at range.
- Target observation – observing and identify targets for artillery to strike.
- Forward Air Control – directing combat aircraft to employ their weapons in support of ground troops.
- Communications – utilising high tech communications equipment to pass voice messages and digital data
- Logistics – moving manpower and equipment to critical points on the battlefield.
“Everywhere” is the motto of the Royal Artillery and 1st Regiment Royal Horse Artillery lives up to this.
Recently the Regiment deployed on combat Operations in:
1st Regiment Royal Horse Artillery frequently deploys on training in:
- The USA
Currently the Regiment also provides specialist artillery and training advisors in:
1st Regiment Royal Horse Artillery has access to all the best South Wiltshire has on offer since moving to Larkhill.
This includes the picturesque Cathedral City of Salisbury, Stonehenge, and Salisbury Plain Training Area; the largest military training ground in the UK.
The Regiment’s prime position puts it within two hours of London and in easy reach of the South Coast and West Country.