The Corps Engagement Team
The CET are a small group of Army musicians dedicated to supporting potential applicants and gatekeepers in finding out more about careers in Army music.
- We are your initial point of contact before making an application to join Army Music.
- The CET will arrange visits for you to meet regular Army Bands.
- Learn about exciting recruitment opportunities.
- We encourage everyone who makes an application to experience Army Music before applying.
There are lots of options for young musicians to discover more:
- Spend a working day with a Band and join in rehearsals.
- Take part in a concert with an Army Band.
- Attend a masterclass or concert.
- Attend an open day.
- Apply for CAMUS Academies, held biannually.
This is classed as a continuation of secondary education and can be an alternative to college, 6th form or an apprenticeship. Junior soldiers will remain in training until 18 years old. Applicants who opt for this route undertake military training at Army Training Centre Harrogate, including an element of musical tuition and education.
- Joining at 16-17 years old
- Spend 36 weeks learning basic soldiering skills
- Followed by 52 weeks of music training at the Royal Military School of Music
Apply for our CAMUS Academies held biannually. Each week is a perfect opportunity to experience life as a professional Army Musician;
- Meet Army musicians
- Join rehearsals
- Take part in a joint concert
- Experience Military Training
- It's FREE to take part and all food, travel and accommodation is provided.
The Corps of Army Music regularly works with music educators and leaders providing support to engage, develop and inform young musicians about a professional career in music. We do this through practical music making activities, learning opportunities and creative ideas which allow us to promote military music to a musical audience;
- Careers presentations
- Musical coaching
- Combined concerts
- Adjudicators for musical competitions
- Conductors for large events
- Single instrumental support
- Partnerships with musical institutions
- Project support - Higher Education assignments
Stage 1 - Apply online
Select the ‘Start your Army application’ and complete the candidate registration form. You will need to apply to join as a solider.
Stage 2 - Army Briefing
You will be invited to your local career centre, be given a personal development plan to follow and a Candidate Support Manager (CSM) to help you get ready for the assessment centre.
Stage 3 - Army Assessment
Your assessment will last for 2 days and will take place in one of our Assessment Centres in the UK. We will pay for your travel to get there and back.
This is your chance to see whether the Army is right for you, and for us to see whether you're suitable to join. During your stay, the assessment will include:
• A full medical examination
• Physical and mental tests
• Team exercises to see how you work with other people
• A short talk about yourself to a small group
• A career discussion
Stage 4 - Instrumental Audition
Your most local Army Band will act as a support for you to prepare for your music audition.
Your audition will take place at the Royal Military School of Music on your primary instrument, you will be required to perform:
• Two contrasting pieces
• Sight reading
• A theory and aural assessment
• A short interview with the auditioning panel
Stage 5 - All assessments completed
• We will check your references and run a background check.
• If everything is okay we will send you an offer of employment.
• When you accept the offer, you'll be given a date to start your training and you will formally join (enlist) into the Army. How quickly you can start will depend on the job you've applied to do, the grade you were given at assessment and any personal commitments.
WHERE YOU CAN MEET US
4 - 6 Music For Youth National Event, Birmingham Symphony Hall.
20 CAMUS 25 Gala Concert, Royal Military School of Music.
19 - 24 Summer Music Academy, Royal Military School of Music, Twickenham.
30 - 1 Oct Create Your Future, London Excel.
10 Music & Drama Expo, Manchester.