ALS is a branch of the Adjutant General's Corps within the British Army. We only recruit solicitors, barristers and advocates qualified in England and Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.
To begin your application, please click here. Please ensure that you specify in the online application that you wish to join as a Professionally Qualified Officer (PQO).
As a minimum, please ensure that any application contains the following details:
- GCSE subjects, or equivalent, and grades;
- A/AS level subjects, or equivalent, and grades;
- Law degree details and grade;
- Bar Professional Training Course/Legal Practice Course dates and grade;
- Details of training contract or pupillage;
- Details of legal and other relevant work experience (including any military experience, though it is emphasised that previous military experience is not essential);
- Details of other interests and achievements (e.g. sports and fitness, travel, volunteering etc);
- Date of birth (the Army Legal Services upper age limit is 32, although this can be waived in exceptional circumstances);
- Nationality (you must be either a British & Commonwealth Citizen or Citizen of the Republic of Ireland and have lived in the UK for the last 5 years);
- Full contact details (full name, address, e-mail and telephone number(s));
- Any other factors relevant to your suitability for a Commission in the Army Legal Services.
You are required to provide a CV and covering letter which will be considered alongside all other applicants. The National Recruiting Centre will contact you, via email, once the closing date for applications has passed regarding the interview. Please note that we are unable to give feedback for unsuccessful applicants.
Following the interview stage, up to 18 individuals per year will be invited to attend the Army Officer Selection Board (AOSB) in Westbury, Wiltshire. If successful, candidates will be offered a 12 year Commission (with a 3 year initial probationary period) with the Army Legal Services. This offer is subject to suitable medical, security and referee clearances.
For a confidential discussion about legal roles in the Army, please contact Rinu Sangha on 07753 440 902 (E-mail: [email protected])
Candidates should be aware that a career in the ALS is much more than a change in employer; it is a way of life. Some reasons you may wish to join the ALS are:
- High profile work in the UK and whilst deployed a legal advisor with combat forces on operations, potentially anywhere in the world
Commission as a Captain with good career prospects
- No billing, no timesheets, no rat race - a job to be proud of in a progressive and dynamic organisation
- Through life career-long professional training courses in the UK and abroad
- Two or three-year assignments with occasional six-month operational tours providing a fresh challenge, in locations potentially anywhere in the world
- An attractive salary with a good benefits package, including accommodation, sport, adventurous training, generous holidays, medical and dental treatment and a very competitive pension
- Working in the UK or abroad, deploying to established posts and on operations or training to locations such as Australia, Canada, Cyprus, Germany, Italy, Kenya, Sierra Leone and the USA. This list is not exhaustive.
ALS hold Insight Visits, several times a year, at the Adjutant General's Corps Headquarters, Worthy Down, Winchester, SO21 2RG. These are designed to give prospective candidates an opportunity to find out more about a career in ALS and the application and training process.
During the ALS Insight Visit you will stay overnight in the Officers' Mess, visit a Court Martial Centre and meet some serving ALS officers in a relaxed environment.
Insight Visits are open to all interested law students, Solicitors, Barristers and Advocates who are qualified in England and Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland and who have expressed an interest in joining ALS in writing to the National Recruiting Centre as per contact details below.
Attendance is not mandatory as part of the ALS recruiting process but, attendance is strongly encouraged and demonstrates in genuine interest in joining ALS.
If you are interested in attending an Insight Visit or wish to find out more about joining ALS please contact Helen Reed on 0306 770 4683 (email [email protected]) or Rinu Sangha on 07753 440 902 E-mail: [email protected]).