We use cookies to improve your experience on our website and ensure the information we provide is more relevant. If you continue without changing your cookie settings, we will assume you are happy to accept all cookies on the Army website. You can change your cookie settings at any time.


Medical grading

If your loved one has a particularly complex injury or illness, and it is likely that they will be on WISMIS for more than 56 days, their unit must apply for them to be graded as Temporarily Non-Effective (TNE). The unit is advised to do this as soon as it is evident the soldier will require several months of medical treatment if not more, but must have applied for the soldier to be graded as TNE by the 56 day point. The application is registered on WISMIS and approved by the Occupational Health team at Glasgow. Approval to be graded as TNE usually takes one or two days, but may take as long as a week.

The unit can also put the soldier forward to the monthly Army Recovery Capability Assessment Board (ARCAB) which will decide if your family member should be transferred from their regular unit to a Personnel Recovery Unit (PRU). The unit will discuss this with the soldier and select a PRU that is the most convenient for your loved one.

The ARCAB is made up of experts in clinical medicine and welfare as well as representatives from the PRUs, and PRCs. The ARCAB order each application for each regional PRU according to need. Some PRU’s have greater capacity than others, so not every application will result in a transfer to a PRU.

If a transfer is not possible from the first submission to the ARCAB the soldier’s unit can resubmit the file for a further two ARCABs. If there is still not space for the soldier at their preferred PRU by the end of the third ARCAB submission, the unit will be asked to rewrite and update the paperwork so that the next ARCAB has the most up-to-date information on your loved ones condition and needs.

The paperwork submitted to the ARCAB includes a section for the wounded or ill soldier to write a personal statement. This is their opportunity to state their case and why they feel they will benefit from being transferred to a PRU. It is in their interest to write one. If they have not written a statement, they should talk to their chain of command to include one.

The only reason a wounded or ill soldier would not be put forward to the ARCAB is if they are expected to make a full recovery in the next 44 days. In which case, their recovery would not need the support of a PRU.