We use cookies to improve your experience on our website and ensure the information we provide is more relevant. If you continue without changing your cookie settings, we will assume you are happy to accept all cookies on the Army website. You can change your cookie settings at any time.


Medical discharge

If you are going to transition to civilian life, your recovery plan and mission will adapt to focus on what you need for your career and life outside the Army.

All soldiers leaving the Army will go through a resettlement package, which includes employment courses, work placements, training and education. If you are being medically discharged and your injury or illness means you require additional assistance in finding employment, your Personnel Recovery Officer will submit an application to the Defence Transition Assessment Board for you to access the Recovery Career Services (RCS).

The RCS is designed to offer a specialist career service to those with the greatest barriers to employment, be it a physical injury, a psychological condition, or a terminal illness.

Regional specialist employment consultants will give you one to one support in your career choices, while a separate team of consultants work with external employers in a range of industries from banking to agriculture to source adapted work placements and employment opportunities for you.

In addition to this, the RCS operates the Recovery Career Services Portal as a virtual career office where you can post your CV, read about the corporate employers who are offering you the job opportunities, and also browse the options currently listed.

Not all soldiers who are medically discharged will be referred to the RCS as over half wounded, injured and sick soldiers leaving the Army do not need specialist consultants. The service is therefore based on need as to who will benefit from it, but is not a closed shop so that even if you aren’t referred to the RCS you will still be able to access the portal as a wounded, injured or sick soldier being medically discharged.

The date for your medical discharge is set by Army Personnel Centre Glasgow.

Your Personnel Recovery Officer will talk you through the process, and the courses and tools available to you, and if the RCS will benefit you.

Recovery Career Services

Learn more about the Recovery Career Services for transition support

shaking hands