We use cookies to improve your experience on our website and ensure the information we provide is more relevant. If you continue without changing your cookie settings, we will assume you are happy to accept all cookies on the Army website. You can change your cookie settings at any time.


Medical grading

If you have a particularly complex injury or illness, and it is likely that you will be on WISMIS for more than 56 days, your unit must apply for you to be graded as Temporarily Non-Effective (TNE). Your unit is advised to do this as soon as it is evident you will require several months of medical treatment if not more, but must have applied for you to be TNE by the 56 day point. The application is registered on WISMIS and approved by the Occupational Health team at Glasgow. Approval to be graded as TNE usually takes one or two days, but may take as long as a week.

Your unit can also put you forward to the monthly Army Recovery Capability Assessment Board (ARCAB) which will decide if you should be transferred from your regular unit to a Personnel Recovery Unit (PRU). Your unit will discuss this with you and select a PRU that is the most convenient to you.

Much like the military boards that sit at Glasgow, the paperwork submitted by your unit is reviewed by the ARCAB, which is made up of experts in clinical medicine and welfare as well as representatives from the PRUs, and PRCs. The ARCAB order each application for each regional PRU according to need. Some PRU’s have greater capacity than others, so not every application will result in a transfer to a PRU.

If your transfer is not possible from your first submission to the ARCAB your unit can resubmit your file for a further two ARCABs. If there is still not space for you at your preferred PRU by the end of your third ARCAB submission, your unit will be asked to rewrite and update your paperwork so that the next ARCAB has the most up-to-date information on your condition and your needs.

The paperwork submitted to the ARCAB for them to make their decision does include a section for you to write your own statement. This is your opportunity to state your case and why you feel you will benefit from being transferred to a PRU. If you have not written a statement, then you need to talk to your chain of command to include one.

The only reason you would not be put forward to the ARCAB is if you are expected to make a full recovery in the next 44 days, in which case you would not need the support of a PRU.

If you are transferred to a PRU it is not permanent, unless you will be leaving the Army due to your injury or illness. If you are able to, you can transfer back to your regular unit and return to duty.