We use cookies to improve your experience on our website and ensure the information we provide is more relevant. If you continue without changing your cookie settings, we will assume you are happy to accept all cookies on the Army website. You can change your cookie settings at any time.


Housing and job moves

The Regular Army provides subsidised accommodation for its servicemen and women. This page briefly describes service personnel entitlement to service accommodation and removals for personal possessions on assignment to a new area.

The following information is a guide to entitlements. If you are a serviceman or woman, full information is available in ArmyNET.

Single Living Accommodation

The Army provides Single Living Accommodation to

  • single servicemen and women
  • those with a family who choose not to have their family with them at their posting

Multi-occupancy barracks-type rooms are still used by recruits during initial training. For other soldiers, the Army is in the process of moving to single occupancy en-suite rooms. Until that process is complete, rooms for 2 and 4 people are available.

Service Families' Accommodation

The Army provides Service Families' Accommodation for servicemen and women who are

  • married or in civil partnerships
  • widowed, divorced or separated with dependant children

The accommodation is usually close to, or within 10 miles of, their duty station. Most are fully furnished, though tenants may use their own furniture if they wish. Existing householders may decide to continue living in their own home.

Moving to a new posting

When a serviceman or woman is assigned to a new posting, the Army meets the costs of moving personal possessions, within certain limits. These limits are available to service personnel in ArmyNET.

Council House Purchase - Housing Act 1985 - Right to Buy

We will supply service details to Army personnel, former Army personnel, ex-spouses or Housing Agencies proving that during a specific period you were a tenant of crown property, the rent for which would have been deducted from your salary. This will enable discount under the Housing Act 1985. Enquiries should be sent to:

APC MS Support - Disclosures 1
MP 520,
Kentigern House,
65 Brown Street,
Glasgow G2 8EX

Tel: 0345 600 9663
Fax: 0141 224 3172
Email: apc-sp-disclosures1@mod.uk