We use cookies to improve your experience on our website and ensure the information we provide is more relevant. If you continue without changing your cookie settings, we will assume you are happy to accept all cookies on the Army website. You can change your cookie settings at any time.


Transition to civilian life

11th Infantry Brigade is primarily concerned with supporting Service personnel either residing in or returning to the South East. Our aim is to ensure all personnel are provided with regional information to allow timely, informed decisions. This helps Service families to put down roots, develop personal resilience and prepare a smooth through-career Transition to resettlement.

Transition: Individual Planning and Personal Development (IPPD) is not resettlement.
It is about you planning your personal and professional development throughout your career so that when you enter your resettlement you have exploited all the in-Service opportunities available to you, and as a family, you are in a better position financially, educationally, emotionally and professionally to launch into your resettlement.

You will all one day leave the Services
You cannot be certain when that day will come, however, removing your “Army blinkers” and taking time throughout your career to consider options open to you, exploiting in-Service education, housing and health/welfare provision, will significantly increase resettlement success and decrease the emotional impact that many currently experience when they leave.

Transition is your responsibility
It is best not left until the end. First you need to be clear about your current personal situation and to identify areas of weakness. HARDFACTS is a great tool to help you understand how resilient you and your family are. Where you identify an issue you can be assured that there is an organisation that can help. This site will help you to identify these organisations and find regional information. Early engagement is key.

Transition events
The Brigade runs a number of Transition events, mentoring courses, unit Life Skills briefs and networking activity. SE Transition Fairs are great “one-stop shop” events with all the key agencies under one roof. These events are open to Service Personnel, Service Leavers, Reservists, Spouses and Veterans. Dates of all transition activity are advertised via the CTP events webpage, Transition Newsletters, RCMOs and on this site.


Arguably the most important yet most overlooked area of resettlement is housing. Without an address you cannot register your children into schools, you cannot register with GPs or Dentists and you cannot access benefits should the need arise.

Understanding where you plan to ‘resettle’ is incredibly important however you must also decide whether you will get a mortgage to purchase your own property or privately rent. Social Housing is scarce and should not be relied upon as your first choice. Despite the Armed Forces Covenant removing barriers to social housing, allocation is based upon need and waiting lists in the South East remain in their thousands. Emergency housing is more often than not B&B accommodation with no guarantee that you will remain within catchment of your children’s schools.

Housing is the most complicated resettlement activity to plan and needs to be conducted well in advance of your discharge (years in advance if you are planning to save for a deposit and buy).

The Joint Services Housing Advisory Office (JSHAO) should be your first point of call as they have assimilated all of the information you need to know about options open to you including Forces Help to Buy Scheme.


Housing assistance

JSHAO have collected all of the information you need to know about options open to you including the Forces Help to Buy Scheme.

Local Authorities also provide housing information and support including statutory responsibilities of a Landlord, house purchase schemes, council tax, social (council) housing and housing associations, planning permission, repossessions etc.

The most important thing to consider is that the process takes time to go through, so early consideration or contact with the local Council is vital (follow the 'Find your local council' link on the right) and click on the housing tab. You will need to provide your Cessation of Entitlement certificate, giving the date you are due to vacate your military accommodation.

For single service leavers, the process may take even longer, so early contact is vital to ensure you do not end up homeless. Single Persons Accommodation Centre for the Ex Services (SPACES) can provide you with help in finding a house if you are single.