We use cookies to improve your experience on our website and ensure the information we provide is more relevant. If you continue without changing your cookie settings, we will assume you are happy to accept all cookies on the Army website. You can change your cookie settings at any time.


Transition to civilian life

Transition is more than what has traditionally been called Resettlement. You must engage early and become involved in your own Transition Journey. As well as support to you, as a service leaver (SL), the links on this web page will also help your partner and family deal with your move into civilian life.

Soldier to civilianThe Army is not just a normal job, and leaving the Army and starting a new life is not the same as changing jobs as a civilian. We will all leave the Army at some point, so helping those who are leaving to get the best possible start is just one way of recognising the loyalty and commitment you have shown to the Army.

Transition Delivery is defined as “a process to support Service Leaver's (SL) smooth passage into civilian life”. Support Command is taking the policy lead for all aspects of Transition in order to bring greater coherence to the five supporting pillars of:

  • Employment – career selection or job search. 
  • Education – SL are to be made aware of the existing educational schemes available for them and have the knowledge of the education provision for their children. 
  • Health – registration or transfer of existing medical care. 
  • Housing – registration for community housing, selection of rented property or purchase of your own property. 
  • Welfare – guidance and help from veteran organisations and programmes.

The aim of the Transition process is to generate:

  • Settled veterans, with a good story to tell about their service in the Army, in meaningful employment and making a positive contribution to society.
  • For those SL with an identified need: a bespoke plan that allows for them to draw on appropriate advice and support that acts as a safety net until they gain full independence.
  • A SL community that is well-disposed for further service in the Reserve or Cadet Forces, or who are committed to support those who choose to do so.
  • To ensure that SL and their families have the information they need or are signposted appropriately.

LONDIST support

LONDIST will direct activity for the preparation and delivery of support to Army SL and families undergoing transition within London District, and will provide full support to SLs who intend to reside in the geographical area.

SO2 Transition is the lead officer for policy, direction and advice to Units. Additionally the Chain of Command and other agencies linked to below will provide a high level of support to you as a SL.

As part of your transition process you may wish to consider continuing your military service in the Army Reserve or taking a role in the Army Cadet Force. The nation needs your commitment, experience and leadership skills.

The 33 London Boroughs are: Barking & Dagenham, Barnet, Bexley, Brent, Bromley, Camden, City of London, Croydon, Ealing, Enfield, Greenwich, Hackney, Hammersmith & Fulham, Haringey, Harrow, Hillingdon, Hounslow, Islington, Kensington & Chelsea, Kingston, Lambeth, Lewisham, Merton, Newham, Redbridge, Richmond, Southwark, Sutton, Tower Hamlets, Waltham Forest, Wandsworth, Westminster.

For specific local authority information on housing, schools, Armed Forces Covenant and other matters, you are recommended to contact the appropriate council. Visit their websites using the 'Find your local council' link on the right.


As part of your Transition you may be eligible for access to the Career Transition Partnership Services, Graduated Resettlement Time (GRT) which is flexible time set aside for SL to use to complete resettlement activities and enables SL to combine any elements available for resettlement provision.

An Individual Resettlement Training Costs (IRTC) Grant is also available to all SL entitled to GRT and is available to assist with the cost of resettlement training activities. These services will depend upon your length of service, but in general, support can be received for training or re-education. For those leaving and registered for Enhanced Learning Credits (ELC) the regulations are set out in JSP 898 Part 4 – Chapter 3 and are available on the ELC website linked below. Your Resettlement Officer will be able to provide you more information as well as JSP 534 the Tri-Service Resettlement Manual.

SL should have the knowledge of the education provision for their children in the London Borough they are going to settle in, as many schools have waiting lists and admission criteria’s that need to be researched. Follow the links below to find local schools and view performance tables.

Share this page

Bookmark and Share