We use cookies to improve your experience on our website and ensure the information we provide is more relevant. If you continue without changing your cookie settings, we will assume you are happy to accept all cookies on the Army website. You can change your cookie settings at any time.


Transition to civilian life

Transition is more than what has traditionally been called Resettlement. You must engage early and become involved in your own Transition Journey. As well as support to you, as a service leaver (SL), the links on this web page will also help your partner and family deal with your move into civilian life.

Soldier to civilianThe Army is not just a normal job, and leaving the Army and starting a new life is not the same as changing jobs as a civilian. We will all leave the Army at some point, so helping those who are leaving to get the best possible start is just one way of recognising the loyalty and commitment you have shown to the Army.

Transition Delivery is defined as “a process to support Service Leaver's (SL) smooth passage into civilian life”. Support Command is taking the policy lead for all aspects of Transition in order to bring greater coherence to the five supporting pillars of:

  • Employment – career selection or job search. 
  • Education – SL are to be made aware of the existing educational schemes available for them and have the knowledge of the education provision for their children. 
  • Health – registration or transfer of existing medical care. 
  • Housing – registration for community housing, selection of rented property or purchase of your own property. 
  • Welfare – guidance and help from veteran organisations and programmes.

The aim of the Transition process is to generate:

  • Settled veterans, with a good story to tell about their service in the Army, in meaningful employment and making a positive contribution to society.
  • For those SL with an identified need: a bespoke plan that allows for them to draw on appropriate advice and support that acts as a safety net until they gain full independence.
  • A SL community that is well-disposed for further service in the Reserve or Cadet Forces, or who are committed to support those who choose to do so.
  • To ensure that SL and their families have the information they need or are signposted appropriately.

LONDIST support

LONDIST will direct activity for the preparation and delivery of support to Army SL and families undergoing transition within London District, and will provide full support to SLs who intend to reside in the geographical area.

SO2 Transition is the lead officer for policy, direction and advice to Units. Additionally the Chain of Command and other agencies linked to below will provide a high level of support to you as a SL.

As part of your transition process you may wish to consider continuing your military service in the Army Reserve or taking a role in the Army Cadet Force. The nation needs your commitment, experience and leadership skills.

The 33 London Boroughs are: Barking & Dagenham, Barnet, Bexley, Brent, Bromley, Camden, City of London, Croydon, Ealing, Enfield, Greenwich, Hackney, Hammersmith & Fulham, Haringey, Harrow, Hillingdon, Hounslow, Islington, Kensington & Chelsea, Kingston, Lambeth, Lewisham, Merton, Newham, Redbridge, Richmond, Southwark, Sutton, Tower Hamlets, Waltham Forest, Wandsworth, Westminster.

For specific local authority information on housing, schools, Armed Forces Covenant and other matters, you are recommended to contact the appropriate council. Visit their websites using the 'Find your local council' link on the right.

Health care

Your health and that of your family is essential not only during Service but on leaving Service. You will need register with a GP and dentist to ensure you and your family have access to NHS health provision. This can be done before your discharge date by taking out a temporary registration. When you register make sure the doctor is aware you are a service leaver and that the Practice Manager obtains a copy of your service medical documents.

If you don’t know where to find your nearest NHS practice, the NHS Choices search tool will tell you. For local A&E departments, hospitals and consultants, GP practices, dental practices, opticians, pharmacists and support for carers please follow the NHS Service Directories link below.

If you haven’t used it before, NHS Direct (Dial 111 from landline or mobile free of charge) is a 24-hr service providing confidential health advice and information.

If you or your family are experiencing issues with the Transition process, there are a number of initiatives to provide advice and guidance including Combat Stress, Live at Ease and Big White Wall - anonymous support for ex-forces and families dealing with issues.

Share this page

Bookmark and Share