We use cookies to improve your experience on our website and ensure the information we provide is more relevant. If you continue without changing your cookie settings, we will assume you are happy to accept all cookies on the Army website. You can change your cookie settings at any time.


Transition to civilian life

If you are a service leaver hoping to settle in Wales and looking for advice and support in this time of change for you and your family then you are in the right place. Here you will find links to information from resettlement entitlements or redundancy arrangements and all the useful points of contact around Wales in the realms of the five pillars of transition.

Soldier to civilianArmy Transition Wales exists to signpost you and your family to the help and support you need. Furthermore it is hoped that the site will also be a source of inspiration and ideas for you to consider your options for the future.

Transition is seen as having five major pillars:

  • Employment – for the Service leaver
  • Education – for the Service leaver and their family
  • Health – for the Service leaver and their family
  • Housing – for the Service leaver and their family
  • Welfare – the well-being of the Service leaver and their family

Transition and resettlement support is delivered by a number of agencies including the brigade's Transition team - email: 160X-Transition-GroupMailbox@mod.uk, Army Education Centre staff (especially the Individual Education and Resettlement Officer) and staff at the ten regional resettlement centres operated by the Career Transition Partnership (CTP). Follow the quick links on the right to find helpful information and advice.

In addition, the Army Welfare Service, Service charities and the Hives all make a big contribution to informing and supporting Service leavers and their families through this significant change in their lives.

Welsh Government Package of Support for the Armed Forces Community in Wales

Wales statistics: useful source of statistics for Wales from schools to crime

Health care

You are now moving to new area to live and you will no longer have a medical nor dental centre to look after you, and your family will have to change doctor’s surgery and dentist. There is a very good website NHS choices which you can log on to and it will give you all the doctors, dentists and pharmacies within a distance range that you can specify but be aware that not all will have vacancies for NHS patients.

Additionally, you may need to move close to a hospital that specialises in e.g. cancer, cardiology or children to name but a few.

If you haven’t used it before, NHS Direct (Dial 111 from landline or mobile free of charge) is a 24-hr service providing confidential health advice and information.

Healthcare provision is provided by Main Hospitals and Walk-in Centres. Main Hospitals - some have A&E and some do not, you need to check. Walk in Centres - these are Urgent Care Centres or Minor Injury Units. Find your local healthcare services at the NHS Service Directories link below: