We use cookies to improve your experience on our website and ensure the information we provide is more relevant. If you continue without changing your cookie settings, we will assume you are happy to accept all cookies on the Army website. You can change your cookie settings at any time.


Transition to civilian life

If you are a service leaver hoping to settle in Wales and looking for advice and support in this time of change for you and your family then you are in the right place. Here you will find links to information from resettlement entitlements or redundancy arrangements and all the useful points of contact around Wales in the realms of the five pillars of transition.

Soldier to civilianArmy Transition Wales exists to signpost you and your family to the help and support you need. Furthermore it is hoped that the site will also be a source of inspiration and ideas for you to consider your options for the future.

Transition is seen as having five major pillars:

  • Employment – for the Service leaver
  • Education – for the Service leaver and their family
  • Health – for the Service leaver and their family
  • Housing – for the Service leaver and their family
  • Welfare – the well-being of the Service leaver and their family

Transition and resettlement support is delivered by a number of agencies including the brigade's Transition team - email: 160X-Transition-GroupMailbox@mod.uk, Army Education Centre staff (especially the Individual Education and Resettlement Officer) and staff at the ten regional resettlement centres operated by the Career Transition Partnership (CTP). Follow the quick links on the right to find helpful information and advice.

In addition, the Army Welfare Service, Service charities and the Hives all make a big contribution to informing and supporting Service leavers and their families through this significant change in their lives.

Welsh Government Package of Support for the Armed Forces Community in Wales

Wales statistics: useful source of statistics for Wales from schools to crime


The housing world is complicated and your first move should be to contact the Joint Services Housing Advice Office (JSHAO) who provide free and unbiased help on what the choices are. They provide one day briefings as part of the resettlement process which spouses/partners are welcome to attend and also regional unit or garrison presentations around the country.

For single Service leavers, the Single Persons Accommodation Centre for the Ex-Services (SPACES) can provide you with help in finding somewhere to live.

For social housing, go to the relevant Local Authority website (follow the 'Find your local council' link on the right) and click on the housing tab. You will need to provide your Cessation of Entitlement certificate; giving the date you are due to vacate your military accommodation.