We use cookies to improve your experience on our website and ensure the information we provide is more relevant. If you continue without changing your cookie settings, we will assume you are happy to accept all cookies on the Army website. You can change your cookie settings at any time.


Transition to civilian life

11th Signal and West Midlands Brigade is able to signpost useful leads for those leaving the services and seeking to settle in the West Midlands. The Army builds on the links established under the Armed Forces Community Covenant and seeks to complement the resettlement provision already being offered by adding a regional focus.

Soldier to civilianThe five transition pillars:

  • Employment career choices and job searches 
  • Education individual and family courses. School selection
  • Health doctor and dentist registration
  • Housing community housing and rental property 
  • Welfare help and guidance from veteran organisations

About the region

The 11 Sig & WM Bde area is one of the most diverse regions of the UK. It covers Shropshire, Staffordshire, Worcestershire, Warwickshire, Herefordshire, and Birmingham/West Midlands. In the centre it contains some of the most densely populated parts of Britain: the conurbation of Birmingham and Wolverhampton and the large towns of Dudley, Solihull, Walsall and West Bromwich. However, the region also contains some sparsely populated rural areas. The region has a population of 5.2m or 8.3% of the total UK population of 62m.

Local Authorities include Birmingham, Coventry, Dudley, Herefordshire, Sandwell, Shropshire, Solihull, Staffordshire, Stoke, Telford, Warsall, Warwickshire, Wolverhampton and Worcestershire.

Please follow the link 'find your local council' on the right, and enter the council name you wish to visit. Also download the regional map below to see where the local authorities sit within the West Midlands.


Where you want to live, and in what, is an important piece of the transition jigsaw puzzle. ‘Where’ might be governed by family connections, job opportunities and whether you’ve already own a house. ‘What’ may be influenced by your family size, personal circumstances, or how long you may be staying in a new location.

Answering the rent or buy question needs careful consideration. A good place to start is the Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO) which also produces a useful monthly magazine called Housing Matters.

Local Authority housing staff and Council Housing Options are good sources of local information. Most are contained in the Local Authority websites.

Orbital is a government appointed HomeBuy Agent, which covers the West Midlands. They can guide you through the low cost home ownership scheme.

Single Service Leavers can access the support of Single Person’s Accommodation Centre for the ex-Service (SPACES).

Haig Homes are a charity which provides housing for ex-service personnel throughout the UK.

Regional housing link

Contact the Transition team

Transition Team

Telephone: 01952 673667

Email: 11SIGX-HQ-G1-SO2-Transition@mod.uk

HQ 11 Sig & WM Brigade
Venning Barracks
Donnington, Telford
When emailing, please put in the subject line: For attention of Transition Team