We use cookies to improve your experience on our website and ensure the information we provide is more relevant. If you continue without changing your cookie settings, we will assume you are happy to accept all cookies on the Army website. You can change your cookie settings at any time.


Transition IPPD

This Brigade supports the Transition of Service Leavers by providing the Army’s principal connection with government and society within its area of responsibility and it is the lead for the delivery of certain administration and support functions required to support soldiers and their families.

Soldier to civilian The aim of Transition is to signpost those Service Leavers who wish to settle in the East Midlands or East Anglia to information on Employment, Education, Health, Housing and Welfare (the links for which are located below).

The area covers the 12 counties from Lincolnshire down to Essex and eastwards of the M1, accessing the facilities available through the 97 local authorities along with the plethora of support agencies and charities that also act in support throughout this transition process and beyond.

Transition is more than what is traditionally called Resettlement. Your own Transition Journey is something that you must ‘drive’. You read the orders, you pack your kit, you pack your ammunition but it is not just about you; your partner, family and friends may also be affected when you leave the Service.

Leaving the Army can be a challenge, which is why all service leavers and their families receive support in making this transition to civilian life regardless of length of service. The Army’s intent is that all Service leavers achieve an effective transition from full-time military service into civilian life. The key skills and primary focus will be finding new employment and somewhere to live, whichever comes first.

On leaving a full-time career in the Army, have you considered that the nation still needs your commitment, experience and leadership skills? Have you thought about continuing your military service in the Army Reserve, or even becoming an Adult Instructor in the Army Cadet Force? If you have, then just check out the links on the Employment page.


Transition events

For up to date confirmation of CTP (Career Transition Partnership) events, please check the CTP Events page (link top right).


Service personnel have differing needs when it comes to Housing which are dependent upon their personal and family circumstances which can be and are subject to change. Therefore deciding where to live is one of the most important decisions you and your family will need to make upon leaving the Army.

There are a range of support services available to you from the Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO) as well as from the local Council in the area you are moving. The most important thing to consider is that the process takes time to go through, so early consideration or contact with the local Council is vital.

For single service leavers, the process may take even longer, so early contact is vital to ensure you do not end up homeless. Spaces (Single Persons Accommodation Centre for the Ex Services) can provide you with help in finding a house if you are single. There is also a range of other accommodation, these can be found through either the details given in the JSHAO NW Magazine or through individual councils' websites.

What are your options; how much time have you got, how long does the process take, where do I look? These links will find all of the information you require for whichever path you take.

Follow the 'Find your local council' link on the right to find local authorities and local housing associations.