We use cookies to improve your experience on our website and ensure the information we provide is more relevant. If you continue without changing your cookie settings, we will assume you are happy to accept all cookies on the Army website. You can change your cookie settings at any time.


Transition to civilian life

42 (North West) Brigade is primarily concerned with service leavers who are wishing to resettle within the North West region. Our aim is to ensure that the service leaver is given all the relevant information needed to make an informed choice allowing the smooth transition into civilian life.

Soldier to civilianTransition is more than what was traditionally known as Resettlement. Your own transition journey is something that you must ‘drive’ and is not just about you. It is your partner, family and friends who will also be affected by leaving the Service and you must keep them involved with every stage.

The greatest areas of focus will be finding new employment and somewhere to live. Along with these areas, this portal has links covering the five pillars of transition:

  • Employment – career selection or job search
  • Education – training options and children’s school selection
  • Health – registration or transfer of existing medical care
  • Housing – help with securing housing, whether social or private
  • Welfare – guidance and help from veterans’ organisations and programmes

Transition and resettlement support is delivered by a number of agencies including unit resettlement staff, Army Education Centre staff (especially the Individual Education & Resettlement Officer) and staff at the ten regional resettlement centres operated by the Career Transition Partnership.

In addition, the Army Welfare Service, Service charities and the Hives all make a big contribution to informing and supporting Service leavers and their families through this significant change in their lives.

Health care

Your health and that of your family is essential not only during Service but on leaving Service. You will need register with a GP and dentist to ensure you and your family have access to NHS health provision. This can be done before your discharge date by taking out a temporary registration. When you register make sure the doctor is aware you are a service leaver and that the Practice Manager obtains a copy of your service medical documents.

If you don’t know where to find your nearest NHS practice, the NHS Choices search tool will tell you. For local A&E departments, hospitals and consultants, GP practices, dental practices, opticians, pharmacists and support for carers please follow the NHS Service Directories link below.

If you haven’t used it before, NHS Direct (Dial 111 from landline or mobile free of charge) is a 24-hr service providing confidential health advice and information.

If you or your family are experiencing issues with the Transition process, there are a number of initiatives to provide advice and guidance including Combat Stress, Live at Ease and Big White Wall - anonymous support for ex-forces and families dealing with issues.