We use cookies to improve your experience on our website and ensure the information we provide is more relevant. If you continue without changing your cookie settings, we will assume you are happy to accept all cookies on the Army website. You can change your cookie settings at any time.


Transition to civilian life

42 (North West) Brigade is primarily concerned with service leavers who are wishing to resettle within the North West region. Our aim is to ensure that the service leaver is given all the relevant information needed to make an informed choice allowing the smooth transition into civilian life.

Soldier to civilianTransition is more than what was traditionally known as Resettlement. Your own transition journey is something that you must ‘drive’ and is not just about you. It is your partner, family and friends who will also be affected by leaving the Service and you must keep them involved with every stage.

The greatest areas of focus will be finding new employment and somewhere to live. Along with these areas, this portal has links covering the five pillars of transition:

  • Employment – career selection or job search
  • Education – training options and children’s school selection
  • Health – registration or transfer of existing medical care
  • Housing – help with securing housing, whether social or private
  • Welfare – guidance and help from veterans’ organisations and programmes

Transition and resettlement support is delivered by a number of agencies including unit resettlement staff, Army Education Centre staff (especially the Individual Education & Resettlement Officer) and staff at the ten regional resettlement centres operated by the Career Transition Partnership.

In addition, the Army Welfare Service, Service charities and the Hives all make a big contribution to informing and supporting Service leavers and their families through this significant change in their lives.


Education for the service leaver, their spouse or children is an important consideration. Whilst many service leavers will find full time work on their return to life outside the Armed Forces, consideration should be given to the potential of up-skilling or re-educating. Whilst focus may be on ensuring children are placed in the best and/or most suitable of schools, Service leavers should also consider looking at their own education.

Chester and Salford Universities are working with the Resettlement Staff in the North West to sign post potential opportunities outside of getting full time employment. For those leaving and registered for Enhanced Learning Credits, you are able to maximise these to secure additional training or education to supplement any GRT entitlement. Your Resettlement Officer will be able to provide you more information.

There are 22 Local Education Authorities within the North West operating a policy of schools admissions. For more information about applying for a school place, follow the 'Choosing a School' link below.

Enhanced learning credits

To join the ELC scheme you must complete and submit an application form either in your first twelve months from enlistment or in the window between eight and eight and a half years from enlistment. ELCs are available in two tiers: You must accumulate four years of eligible service to claim the Lower Tier (80% of the fees, up to a maximum of £1,000 per claim instalment) and eight years eligible service to claim the Higher Tier (80% of the fees, up to a maximum of £2,000 per claim instalment).

See school performance tables and university and college links below.