Join us

Over three quarters of non-serving partners are in employment and rising, despite significant barriers to employment existing such as high mobility, isolation, separation and childcare support.


Army partners bring a wealth of talent and skills to the workplace, benefitting business and the economy as a whole.

A wealth of information and resources exist to help support non-serving partners who are seeking employment advice, training and development opportunities, including:

HIVE: Your local HIVE offers advice about employment opportunities and additional support, such as signposting to jobs websites and information on where to register for employment and Jobseeker’s Allowance (if eligible).

AFF: The Army Families Federation’s employment and training website has useful information and resources.

Career Opportunities

Forces Families Jobs supports Service families into employment and provides opportunities for training and development.

Recruit for Spouses is an independent social enterprise, run largely by people whose spouses are serving in the Armed Forces, helping military spouses find a job or start a business that works for them.

Lifeworks provide employment and career opportunities primarily to Armed Forces Veterans, however they also include non-serving partners, among others.

JobCentre Plus.  Go online to register for employment at: (


Self Employed. Many service partners run successful small businesses. If you wish to run a business from Service Family Accommodation you should seek permission from DE Ops Housing and your serving partner’s Commanding Officer. Full details can be found in Tri-Service Accommodations Regulations paragraph 0603.

X-Forces help Armed Forces families to start-up business across the UK with loans, mentoring and support.

Overseas Employment. On assignment you may be able to find work within the garrison; visit the Civilian Employment Officer or seek local employment advice from the HIVE. It is possible in some countries to find jobs outside the Army, but you usually have to offer a skill and you may need to speak the local language. You should check all the employment regulations before you start work as you may need a special work permit.

Defence Employer Recognition Scheme. The ERS is connected with the Armed Forces Covenant, and many companies support employment of Armed Forces spouses. A list of employers holding Bronze, Silver and Gold awards can be found on the website.