Safeguarding is the process of protecting children from abuse or neglect, preventing impairment of their health and development, and ensuring they are growing up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care, which will enable children and young people to have the best outcomes.

Within the UK

All Army families are able to access support for their children through universal services – school, nursery, health visiting, GPs. If additional needs are identified, they may be supported through an Early Help offer. Early help, also known as early intervention, is support given to a family when a problem first emerges. It can be provided at any stage in a child or young person's life. It may be provided by children’s centre practitioners, charity or voluntary organisations such as NSPCC, Home Start, or the local authority.

If children are identified to have complex needs that may be chronic or enduring and are considered to be highly vulnerable or living in the greatest level of adversity, they will require specialist assessment and support from services such as social care, CAMHS, Youth Offending Service and Educational Inclusion Support (including SEN).

If you are concerned about any child within the UK and feel that they are at immediate risk of harm call the police on 999. If you are worried about a child and feel that they need additional support you should contact your local children’s services or the NSPCC Helpline on 0808 800 5000 or email [email protected] who will be able to provide advice and support.

If you are concerned about your own child you should speak with your child’s school, nursery, health visitor or GP who will be able to support and signpost you.

You can also talk with your unit welfare officer or call Army Welfare Service Intake and Assessment Team on 01904 882053. Email [email protected]

Outside of the UK

The MOD provides support to personnel and dependents which aims to replicate the service provision within the UK as far as is practicable.

Health care services – such as Health visitors/GP can support families with early help interventions and are able to signpost to local services within the overseas location. MOD Schools and Early Years providers are available to provide support and signposting for families who require additional support.

Contracted services are available to support families who require statutory social care input:

SSAFA provide social care services within Falklands, Cyprus, Brunei, Gibraltar and Nepal. They can be contacted on 0800 731 4880.

Core Assets provide statutory social care services for Europe, USA, Saudi and Canada. Contact on +44 808 168 3111 or email [email protected]

Army welfare services can also provide support and can be contacted via the Intake and Assessment Team (IAT). Tel: 01904 882053, email [email protected]

If you are concerned about a child and are overseas and believe they are at immediate risk of harm report your concerns to the military police in your location.