Childcare and Education


The Army knows that at times it can be difficult to access affordable childcare, and some schemes are available to assist with the cost.

MOD Childcare Voucher Scheme

Childcare vouchers are available to Serving and MOD Civilian Personnel through the MOD Childcare voucher scheme. Please see the MOD Childcare website for more information.

In October 2018, childcare voucher schemes closed to new applicants, but members already in the scheme at that time continue to benefit. Details can be found on the Government's Childcare Vouchers website.

Tax-Free Childcare

Working parents with children under 12 years old can register for Tax-Free Childcare to help paying for childcare. Full details can be found on the Childcare Choices website

For additional information on after school clubs and registered child minders, contact the HIVE or access


In the UK, schools (but not academies) are managed by Local Authorities; for information on schools in the local area, please contact your nearest HIVE.

Overseas, MOD Schools provide education to the dependent children of Service personnel and MOD entitled civilians, entitled contractors and fee payers.

Many families choose to send their children to boarding school in order to provide continuity of education. A Continuity of Education Allowance is available.

Service Pupil Premium

This is available for children in Service families being educated in Local Authority schools in England between Reception and year 11.

The sum (currently £310 per annum) is paid to the school and is intended to help with some of the issues that specifically relate to Service children, such as mobility or a parent being deployed.

You should ensure that your child’s school are aware that you are an Army family so they can claim this.

Pre-school Playgroups

Pre-school playgroups are often available close to SFA areas.