Exercise SAIF SAREEA 3 (Ex SS3) is a combined military training exercise between UK and Omani Armed Forces. The land forces will train in Oman and naval forces in Omani and international waters nearby. Air forces from the two countries will operate throughout in support.
Some 5,500 UK Regular and Reserve military personnel are participating alongside over 60,000 Omanis from the Sultan’s Armed Forces.
Exercise SAIF SAREEA 3 runs concurrently with Exercise TRIDENT JUNCTURE in Norway. Both exercises showcase the utility of the British Army and its role in protecting the nation.
Ex SS3 demonstrates the UK’s commitment to international allies and our ability to conduct a strategic deployment of a warfighting force to the Middle East. It will strengthen our tri-Service relationships with Oman and will help develop their Joint, Interoperable, Defence capabilities.
Ex SS3 will happen in 5 phases:
- The Army is deploying 2,000 soldiers on the exercise, with around 800 on the ground as exercising troops, 185 Armoured Fighting Vehicles and other equipment from the UK to Oman
- National forces training will happen 1-16 Oct
- Integration of the UK Battle Group with Omani forces will take place
- Final test exercise 24-27 Oct
- Firepower demonstration showcasing the combined effects of UK and Omani forces 29 Oct - 3 Nov
The UK has a long and established defence relationship with Oman, with strong bonds and shared values. Exercise SAIF SAREEA 3 is the largest joint exercise of its kind for 15 years underpinning one of the UK’s bilateral strategic partnerships.