The Cambrian Patrol
The aim of Ex CP is to provide a challenging World Class patrol exercise in order to enhance Operational Capability.
The Cambrian Patrol is run on an annual basis with applications accepted from all three Services (Regular and Reserve Forces), and overseas military units.
The event has evolved into a cost effective, ready-made exercise that Commanding Officers can use to confirm the basic training standards of their soldiers, in preparation for future operations. It is mission focused and scenario-based with role players used to enhance the training benefit. We seek to encourage a wider participation from across all the arms and services and stress that the entry standards are not based on any specialist skills but on Battlecraft Syllabus (BCS) and Individual Training Requirement (ITR), in addition to physical and mental robustness and leadership.
Each patrol must have a support team comprising a non-participating patrol manager of at least the rank of Senior Non Commissioned Officer and a driver. There are no BCRs during the patrol. The composition of the patrol is to be (international patrol manning configuration will be based on each countries procedures):
- Patrol Commander: Junior Non Commissioned Officer (JNCO) / Senior Non Commissioned Officer / Warrant Officer (WO) / Officer (OR4-OF2)
- Patrol Second In Command: JNCO (OR3-4)
- Six Private soldiers: (OR1-2), this group may include one JNCO (OR3-4).
However, specialised units and international patrol composition will be considered on a case by case basis.
Assessment commences at the drop off point and continues throughout until completion of the exercise. The military skills that may be assessed are:
- Dismounted Close Combat Skills
- Orders Procedure
- Battlefield Casualty Drills (BCD)
- Countering the Explosive Ordnance Threat (C-EO)
- Counter – Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear Drills (C-CBRN)
- Recognition of aircraft, vehicles, weapons, mines and other equipment
- Operational Law and Ethical Behaviour
- Obstacle Crossing Drills
- Media Handling
- Artillery Target and Emergency Close Air Support Procedures
- Patrol Reporting and Radio Communications Skills
- Tactical conduct
- Physical and mental robustness
The level of award will depend on the patrol completing all aspects of the exercise. The awards are:
- Gold: 75% or more of the points available and no less than 65% on any single assessed task.
- Silver: 65-74% of the points available and no less than 55% on any single assessed task.
- Bronze: 55-64% of the points available.
- Certificate: Completed the exercise and scored less than 55% of the points available.
The initial point of contact for all entrants is [email protected]
The Cambrian Patrol WO can be contacted on 0300 154 5862.