We use cookies to improve your experience on our website and ensure the information we provide is more relevant. If you continue without changing your cookie settings, we will assume you are happy to accept all cookies on the Army website. You can change your cookie settings at any time.


Detainee information

Listed below are the answers to the most commonly asked questions by detainees on arrival at the MCTC. Please spare a moment or two to read them and if you have any questions that have not already been covered, please ask a member of staff. Do not keep your concerns to yourself.

On your arrival at the MCTC, you will be issued with an admission pack containing various items of toiletries, specific to your sex and tobacco if you are a smoker. You may bring with you your own toothbrush, razor and shower gel/shampoo.

You may be permitted to keep, in your accommodation, up to five photographs, which are deemed appropriate. Religious/Cultural items may be retained at the discretion of the Commandant.


Entitlement:  Subject to the Commandant’s discretion, Service personnel detained at MCTC may receive one visit per week, on either a Saturday or Sunday commencing from the second weekend of detention.  A visit comprises of one x 2 hour period on either day and a maximum of 4 adults may visit at any one time.

Visits for friends and relations take place on Saturdays and Sundays, 1000 - 1200 & 1430 - 1630hrs.

Unit representatives (managers) can visit at any time, however this must be authorised by the MCTC Adjutant.

Assisted Travel Scheme: It is possible that a close relative, normally next of kin or spouse (not partners or girlfriends) is eligible for financial assistance with their travel costs to visit you. They should be in receipt of Family Maintenance Grant (FAMGRANT) or Income Support or have an income of a similar level.

Flexibility: It is very much appreciated that your visitors may live a considerable distance from the MCTC and that the time and cost involved is difficult to justify coming for a single 2hr session. Flexibility exists for them to come for two or more visits on the same weekend if the circumstances can be justified and with the detainee's agreement.


Specialist help and advice for you and your family is available through Welfare. It is in your interest to address this issue at the earliest opportunity, as civilian accommodation is not as easy to obtain as you may think and, contrary to belief, Service personnel do not receive any preferential treatment.

Employment On Discharge From The Service

Help regarding employment and entitlement to benefits is available from the MCTC Education Centre. All D Company DUS will have the opportunity to attend an interview with an Advisor from Colchester Jobcentre Plus who will also arrange a further interview on your behalf at the nearest Jobcentre to where you are intending to live. You are strongly encouraged to take advantage of this service.

Drug / Alcohol Agencies

MCTC has a confidential drug/alcohol and anger management counselling service that you may use whilst you are in detention. The counsellors are civilian and are able to assist you in contacting similar agencies when you leave the MCTC, both on the civilian and military network.  Further details are available from the Welfare Department (01206 816751).


Stoppage of pay: When you are sentenced to detention your pay is stopped. The timing of the JPA monthly bank run may result in an overpayment of salary which is recoverable from future salary or for those discharged, under a repayment process through JPAC. You may submit a Pay Credit Check through your Coy to enquire if you have any monies owed.

Accommodation: If your family are living in Service Family Accommodation (SFA) then rent will continue to be deducted through JPA. Where applicable, credit of SFA charges can be made through the parent unit direct to the JPA account by means of a Family Maintenance Grant (FamGrant). Generally, if the spouse is not working they will be eligible to Famgrant / Income Support and how much they receive is dependant on their work income. Famgrant / Income Support is not instantaneous and may take up to a fortnight to get paid.

Financial assistance/advice: If you have any financial worries (Banks, bills) you should initially inform Welfare who will direct you to the best agency to assist you with your problem. On a monthly basis, the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) come to MCTC and give Presentations - you are able to obtain confidential advice and assistance from the CAB free of charge both at the MCTC and when you have left.

Legal Issues

Fines: If you have an outstanding fine and a payment is due while you are at the MCTC, you should inform Welfare at the earliest opportunity.

Outstanding Court Appearances: If you are due to appear in Court while you are at the MCTC, you should inform a Member Of Staff or Welfare at the earliest opportunity.

Appeals: Most Departments hold a copy of the Appeals Booklet. If you require more detailed advice, or require to speak to your own or a solicitor, contact the Welfare dept.

Advice on any of the above matters can be obtained from the Welfare Department on 01206 816751.

Share this page

Bookmark and Share