We use cookies to improve your experience on our website.
If you continue, we will assume you are happy to receive cookies that
enable you to move around our website and use essential features.

We will also collect anonymous information about website usage.

You can accept other cookies that remember the choices
you make to improve your visit and ensure the information
we serve you is more relevant.

Do you want to receive these cookies?

Find out more

Advice and procedures

If something serious happens to a soldier the Army will normally inform nominated Emergency Contacts (EC) in person.

This section covers emergency procedures, mainly dealt with by the Joint Casualty and Compassionate Centre (JCCC), for which tried and tested systems are in place.

Financial emergencies

Although serving soldiers are responsible for providing financial support for their family, there may be occasions when families need quick access to money for a family emergency, such as requirement to travel to visit a seriously ill relative.

The first port of call should be the Unit Welfare Officer and their staff who may request support from the unit and will also be aware of the various charitable funds that can help Army families in need.