We use cookies to improve your experience on our website and ensure the information we provide is more relevant. If you continue without changing your cookie settings, we will assume you are happy to accept all cookies on the Army website. You can change your cookie settings at any time.


Education for adult dependants

The Army provides a range of opportunities for adult dependants of servicemen and women to improve their education and gain new qualifications.

Help and advice

Career Development Loans

Career Development Loans (CLDs) are much the same as ordinary loans. The only difference is that you do not start paying off the loan until you finish training. You can apply for a CDL if your course counts as vocational training or education and lasts for two years (three years if that includes a year’s practical experience).

For an information pack about CLDs, ask at your local Jobcentre or freefone 0800 585 505.

Armed Forces Bereavement Scholarships


The Education Scholarship Scheme was launched on 8 April 2011 and provides further education and university scholarships for the children of Servicemen and Women who died whilst serving in the HM Armed Forces, and whose death is attributable to service. Amounts vary and may include university tuition fees and maintenance costs. It is not means tested. Full details and eligibility can be found at the following links and 2012DIN01-163:



Lifelong learning advice for adults

A number of websites give advice and guidance to encourage lifelong learning or a change in career.

  • for 13-19 year olds, go to the Connexions website
  • for advice on qualifications, jobs or changes in careers, go to the Worktrain website