36 Engineer Regiment is a General Support Engineer Regiment, which is part of 3 (UK) Division. The Regiment is based in Maidstone at Invicta Park Barracks. The Regiment consists of a Headquarters Squadron, 2 Field Squadrons and a Field Support Squadron. The Regiment is home to the world renowned Queens Gurkha Engineers. The Squadrons are:
50 Headquarters & Support Squadron.
20 Field Squadron.
69 Gurkha Field Squadron.
70 Gurkha Field Support Squadron
36 Engineer Regiment has been deploying troops to Op HERRICK continually for the last 4 years. The most recent deployment has been of 6 High Threat Search Teams as part of the Counter-Improvised Explosive Device (C-IED) Task Force to Afghanistan. The Regiment will also have 100 members of 69 Gurkha Field Squadron Op HERRICK as part of Op BAM, a reconstruction task force to upgrade the infrastructure, which provides life support to those in theatre.
The Queens Gurkha Engineers
Gurkhas first became Sappers in October 1948 when 67 Field Squadron Royal Engineers was formed at Kluang, Malaya. The Squadron formed from Gurkha infantrymen who attached to the Royal Engineers. 68 Field Squadron Royal Engineers was raised at Kluang in April 1950. Later in the same year both Squadrons moved to Hong Kong. The Regimental Headquarters of 50 Field Engineer Regiment Royal Engineers was formed in Hong Kong in June 1951. The Regiment moved to Malaya as the 17th Gurkha Divisional Engineers to support operations then in progress during the Malayan Emergency. The Regiment was based at Sungei Besi near Kuala Lumpur from 1955 - 1961. The Regiment became part of the Brigade of Gurkhas in September 1955, and by Royal Warrant, on 28 September 1955, its designation was changed to "The Gurkha Engineers" and its own cap badge and insignia were adopted.