In 1854 during the Crimean War a grand military revue was held at Scutari in Turkey to celebrate the birthday of HRH Queen Victoria.
During the parade the approximately 20 Bands were required to combine in a performance of the National Anthem.
The custom at this time was for Regiments to hire civilian Bandmasters for their bands each of whom had free reign in both the instrumentation and the arrangements it played.
With each band having a different instrumentation, pitch and arrangement the result was an embarrassing and humiliating cacophony.
Among those present was George, Duke of Cambridge (a cousin of Queen Victoria), who was commanding the 1st Division in the Crimea.
He determined that the lack of central coordination in the training of military musicians should be rectified.
When he was subsequently appointed Commander in Chief of the Army in 1856 he set about exploring options to improve the standard of military music.
The most popular suggestion at that time was to emulate the French Army which had established the Gymnase de Musique Militaire twenty years earlier as a central college for military music.
This was the option that the Duke of Cambridge decided upon and the first 'Military Music Class' commenced at Kneller Hall in 1857 with 85 pupils from 48 different regiments.
The first Director of Music was Henry Schallen, who had been the Bandmaster of the 17th Lancers when the Duke of Cambridge was the Commanding Officer.
The School was established at Kneller Hall which had been acquired by the War Office a year earlier. Originally known as Whitton Hall after the nearby village the building is thought to have been designed by Sir Christopher Wren.
It remained in private hands undergoing several rebuilds until it was bought by the government in 1850 to provide premises for the training of schoolmasters who were to teach the children of paupers and criminals. It was one of the first Pestelozzi schools in England, but was conceptually ahead of its time and closed five years later in 1855.
The Military School of Music quickly achieved the results desired by its founder and thirty years after its foundation during the Queen's Jubilee it was granted the title Royal, becoming The Royal Military School of Music.
During its 150 years of existence the school has earned an international reputation as a centre of excellence and Kneller Hall has become the spiritual home of many generations of Army musicians.
Over its long existence the school has remained at the forefront of military music.