We use cookies to improve your experience on our website and ensure the information we provide is more relevant. If you continue without changing your cookie settings, we will assume you are happy to accept all cookies on the Army website. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

 

3 Medical Regiment

3 Medical Regiment is the task medical regiment of 4 Mechanized Brigade, based in Catterick, and officially formed on 1 April 2009. It consists of a Regimental Headquarters, Support Squadron, 12 Medical Squadron, 16 Medical Squadron, 63 Force Support Squadron and C (250 Hull) Medical Squadron (V). Equipped with armoured ambulances it provides Role 1 medical support.

12 Medical Squadron

12 Medical Squadron can trace its identity back to 12 Field Ambulance, where it delivered medical support to 12 Brigade on the Western Front during the Great War. The newly-raised Medical Squadron was based in Swanton Morley, Norfolk and became operational in 2001. During its short history the Squadron deployed on operations in the Balkans and Iraq on Operation TELIC 2, 6 and 12. In August 2009 it finally joined the Regiment in Catterick.

16 Medical Squadron

16 Medical Squadron (formed from 16 Armoured Field Ambulance) formed up in Tidworth in 2000 and in late 2007 moved to Topcliffe. In July 2009 it finally joined the Regiment in Catterick. The history of 16 Armoured Field Ambulance can be traced back to 6 April 1942 when it was raised as the first Parachute Field Ambulance at Hardwick Hall, Chesterfield, where it served in North Africa and at Arnhem. Later, the Unit saw active service in Palestine, Malaya and the Falkland Islands.

During Operation CORPORATE (The Falklands Conflict, 1982) Major Nutbeem, Lance Corporal Farrell and Private Preston were attached to the 1st Battalion Welsh Guards from 16 Field Ambulance. All three were on the RFA Sir Galahad when the ship was attacked by Argentinian Air Force Skyhawks at Fitzroy on 8 June 1982 and set ablaze, killing all three and a number of Welsh Guardsmen. Major Nutbeem's body was later recovered, temporarily interred and then repatriated to the United Kingdom. The bodies of Lance Corporal Farrell and Private Preston, along with those of the Welsh Guards were left on the Sir Galahad, which was later towed out to sea and sunk as a war grave.

16 Field Ambulance was deployed in the Persian Gulf during Operation GRANBY (Kuwait) in 1991. In December 1992 the unit converted to the armoured role and became 16 Armoured Field Ambulance. Between 1994 and 2000, 16 Armoured Field Ambulance undertook several tours of the Balkans with the last tour being as 16 Close Support Medical Squadron.

C (250 Hull) Medical Squadron (Army Reserve)

In 1938 C (250 Hull) Medical Squadron formed as 150 (Northumbrian) Field Ambulance in Hull in support of 50th (Northumbrian) Division. In 1939 the Field Ambulance was mobilised and during 1940 to 1942 saw Service in Egypt, El Alemein, Fuka, Cyprus, and Palestine. In 1942 the unit returned to North Africa, west of Knightsbridge which was known as 'The Cauldron', and it was during this deployment that the unit was overrun by the enemy with survivors becoming prisoners of war. Due to this action the unit was disbanded.

In 1947 the unit reformed as 150 (Northumbrian) Field (Volunteers) at East Hull Barracks, Hull and in 1960 the unit formed No 51 Field Dressing Station at Londesborough Barracks, Hull. In 1967, 150 (Northumbrian) Field Ambulance (Volunteers) and No 51 Field Dressing Station amalgamated to form 250 (Hull) Field Ambulance Royal Army Medical Corps (Volunteers) and moved to Wenlock Barracks, Hull its present day location.

In 1999 as part of the Strategic Defence Review, the unit was reformed as a Territorial Army Squadron of 5 General Support Medical Regiment who were located in Preston and assumed the name B (250 Hull) Medical Squadron (Volunteers). On the 1 April 2009 the squadron moved to the command of 3 Medical Regiment. The Unit has trained collectively in Cyprus, Germany, Gibraltar and The Netherlands with training attachments to Belize, Denmark, Hong Kong and the USA. It has also deployed individuals to the Balkans, to Iraq on Operation TELIC and to Afghanistan on Operation HERRICK.

63 Force Support Medical Squadron

C Force Support Squadron takes its’ numbering from 63 (2/2 West Lancashire) Field Ambulance RAMC. The 2nd West Lancashire Field Ambulance was formed from the Liverpool Bearer Company RAMC (Volunteers) who transferred to the 1st West Lancashire Field Ambulance. The Liverpool Bearer Company formed in 1902 in common with most other corps of the service. The establishment of the unit was 255 of all ranks and within 6 or 7 months had reached this maximum, so a waiting list for vacancies was organized.

The unit served with 57 (2 west Lancashire) Division until October 1915. After a brief handover it was taken on strength by 30 Division and subsequently embarked for the British Expeditionary Force. It was re numbered 98 County Palatine Field Ambulance. The 2/2 west Lancashire Field Ambulance served with 21 Division having embarked on 8 September 1915. In line with Army Council Instruction 891 in 1916, the unit was re numbered 63 Field Ambulance. It is the time spent as this unit in the Great War that the squadron is numbered to commemorate.

63 Field Ambulance was present at a number of famous battles of World War One including: The Battle of Loos, 2nd Battle of Passchendale, 1st and 2nd Battles of the Somme, and the Battle of Cambrai. During this time Staff Sergeant W Brookes won both the Military Medal and the Distinguished Conduct Medal.

The citations read

For the Military Medal: “For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during the retreats in March, April and May and during the recent fighting on the Somme. As NCO in charge of bearers he has in every action shown the most tireless devotion to duty and marked gallantry. He has constantly led his bearer squads through machine gun and artillery fire and his disregard of danger has been an example to all in his unit”

For the DCM: “For the gallantry in front of Gouzecourt on 17 September 1918. Alone he reconnoitred and them led up bearer squads and got the wounded away. Again on 29 September, though knocked down and wounded by a shell, he carried a man in spite of shelling and machine gun fire to a place of safety, after which he collapsed.”

On 1 April 2009, as part of the Improved Medical Support to the Brigade (IMSB) restructuring, the Sqn was resubordinated from 5 General Support Medical Regiment to 253 (Northern Ireland) Medical Regiment. Then on 1 April 2011 was once more resubordinated to 3 Medical Regiment to form up as the Regiment’s Force Support Squadron.

Share this page

Bookmark and Share