We use cookies to improve your experience on our website and ensure the information we provide is more relevant. If you continue without changing your cookie settings, we will assume you are happy to accept all cookies on the Army website. You can change your cookie settings at any time.


Council Tax Relief

Council Tax Relief

Council Tax Relief for Service personnel on specified operations.

You may have seen in the March 2012 budget that the Chancellor announced that the rate of Council Tax Relief (CTR) has been doubled and will now be 100% of an average council tax bill while deployed – with the average council tax bill in England being around £1200 per year this will mean a rebate of around £600 for a 6 month tour.

CTR is paid to those serving personnel who pay council tax while they are in the UK – it is not paid to those living in SFA who pay CILOCT as this is dealt with separately (unless you can prove that you have paid council tax on a private property in the UK during the tour period). CTR is paid for each day that eligible service personnel are in the location where the relief has been declared as payable and includes days out of theatre on Rest & Recuperation and stops being paid the day after they leave the area.

So how do you claim?
At the end of your tour go to your unit HR staff, they are the people who deal with this – take along your council tax bill for the period in question which confirms that the serving person is counted for council tax at the property and also a letter (or other proof) from the local authority that you haven’t been given a discount from them due to being on an operational tour. Payment is calculated on a daily rate and CTR will be paid as a lump sum at the end of the Op Tour in your salary.

Share this page

Bookmark and Share