We use cookies to improve your experience on our website and ensure the information we provide is more relevant. If you continue without changing your cookie settings, we will assume you are happy to accept all cookies on the Army website. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

 

1st Battalion The Royal Irish Regiment

The 1st Battalion The Royal Irish Regiment (1 R IRISH) is proud of its heritage and distinctive Irish fighting spirit. Recently the Battalion has been deployed on military operations across the globe. Deployments have included capacity building in Ukraine and Mali, training teams to Bangladesh, Burundi, Sierra Leone, and overseas exercises to Germany and Spain.

The Battalion is currently leading the development of the British Army’s new Light Mechanized concept, utilising the latest light armoured vehicles.

There are many opportunities for self development and achievement within the Battalion. From the softer skills developed in adventure training, education and driver training to the physical fitness, leadership development and technical training opportunities. The Battalion operates a state of the art vehicle fleet comprising the latest, operationally tested and proven, military equipment.

1 R IRISH has a proud history of professionalism, courage and excellent conduct on operations. It provides excitement, qualifications, friends and is a rewarding, fun and challenging place to serve.

Where do we come from? More than 80 percent of the 1st Battalion’s officers and men come from the island of Ireland. The remaining 20 percent either have links to Ireland or, being from different parts of the world (England, Wales, Scotland, Australia, South Africa, etc), have grown an Irish attitude to life. This mix is what makes The Royal Irish Regiment unique in the infantry.

Share this page

Bookmark and Share