The Regiment is formed from the three Yorkshire Infantry Regiments; The Prince of Wales's Own Regiment of Yorkshire (14th/15th Foot); The Green Howards (Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own Yorkshire Regiment)(19th Foot) and The Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)(33rd/76th Foot) plus their affiliated Army Reserve units.
Collectively, these historic Yorkshire Regiments trace their history back to 1685 - the year James Stuart, Duke of York, became King James II and needed forces to crush the Duke of Monmouth's Rebellion. The Regiment began its permanent connection with Yorkshire in the mid-17th century. Since that time Yorkshiremen, by birth and in spirit, have served throughout the world supported by their friends and families.
On Tuesday 6 June 2006, the 1st Battalion formed at Somme Barracks, Catterick; the 2nd Battalion at Banja Luka, Bosnia-Herzegovina; the 3rd Battalion in Battlesbury Barracks, Warminster, and the 4th Battalion at their Army Reserve Centres (ARCs). On Saturday 10 June 2006, the Territorial Army and Cadet Forces carried out rebadging parades; the 4th Battalion conducted their parade in the Museum Gardens and the three Army Cadet Forces and Combined Cadet Forces contingents paraded at Imphal Barracks in York.
Our Regular Army battalions, supported by the 4th Battalion, have been on the following operational tours:
Kosovo (Operation OCULUS)
- 2nd Battalion - March-September 2006 (Composite Company)
- 1st Battalion - September 2008 - April 2009 (B Company)
Iraq (Operation TELIC)
- 1st Battalion - November 2006 - May 2007
- 1st Battalion - November 2008 - May 2009 (minus B Company)
- 3rd Battalion - May-July 2009. Alma Company Group took over operational taskings from A Company 1 YORKS and became the last unit in theatre.
Falklands Islands (Roulemont Infantry Company)
- 3rd Battalion - December 2009 - February 2010
- 1st Battalion - February-April 2010
Afghanistan (Operation HERRICK)
- 2nd Battalion - September 2007 - March 2008
- 3rd Battalion - July 2009 - April 2010 (1 x Company)
- 2nd Battalion - October 2009 - May 2010
- 3rd Battalion - October 2009 - May 2010 (1 x Company)
- 1st Battalion - September 2011 - May 2012 (plus elements of 4 YORKS)
- 3rd Battalion - February-October 2012 (plus elements of 4 YORKS)
Cyprus (Theatre Reserve Battalion)
- 2nd Battalion - October 2011 - October 2012
- 2nd Battalion - October 2013 - October 2014
Eighteen soldiers have been killed in action in these operations and six-eight members of the Regiment have received operational gallantry awards.
On 5 July 2012, the Secretary for State for Defence made an announced, which included a reduction in five regular infantry battalions by 2016, requiring the 2nd Battalion The Yorkshire Regiment (Green Howards) to be removed from the Order of Battle. The Colonel of the Regiment, Major General GJ Binns CBE DSO MC and the Executive Committee subsequently decided to merge the Regiment to form two regular battalions in Autumn 2013. The 3rd Battalion to become the 1st Battalion and the 1st Battalion to become the 2nd Battalion with the 4th Battalion remaining unchanged, although the designation Territorial Army was changed to Army Reserve at the end of 2013.
Following the handing over of the various stands of Colours within the Regiment in July and August 2013, and the laying up of the 3rd Battalion's Colours on 20 July 2013, the Regiment looks to the future to build on the illustrious past of its antecedent Regiments. In August 2015, all our battalions find themselves based in the United Kingdom - the first time since our formation.
We hope the information here gives you a flavour of our history, our connections and where you can join in and develop a wider knowledge of this fine record of service for Sovereign and Country.