659 Air Observation Post (AOP) Squadron Royal Air Force (RAF) formed up on 30 April 1943 at RAF Firbeck, South Yorkshire, under command of Major EDV Prendergast, Royal Artillery, and was equipped with the Auster Mk3 aircraft. During 1944 the Squadron moved to RAF Old Sarum from where it flew to Normandy to support 8 Corps. In September 1944 the Squadron suported Operation MARKET GARDEN, Arnhem. 659 AOP Squadron RAF was actively engaged in operations throughout the campaign in North West Europe, finally reaching Kiel on 10 May 1945. Following the declaration of peace the Squadron deployed to India to support the frontier forces in Waziristan, Pakistan. This support continued until July 1947 when all the Squadron assets were transferred to the Royal Indian Air Force.
The Squadron was reformed on 14 October 1969 and after a short time spent at Osnabruk moved to Detmold as part of 9 Regiment Army Air Corps then 4 Regiment Army Air Corps. On 1 June 1973 the Squadron became 659 Squadron Army Air Corps and part of 2 Regiment Army Air Corps. 4 Division deployed on Operation GRANBY (Iraq 1990-1991) supported by 659 Squadron Army Air Corps and 654 Squadron Army Air Corps . The Squadron moved to Wattisham in 1995 and assumed the role of Light Battlefield Squadron in support of 16 Air Assault Brigade. In 2007 the Army Air Corps was restructured into single-type regiments and 659 Squadron Army Air Corps was redesignated as a 9 Regiment Army Corps Squadron.
Squadron motto - 'Quovis per ardua' or 'Everywhere through difficulty'.
Squadron badge heraldry - A hawk volant affrontée the head to the dexter, holding in its claws a shell proper.