665 Air Observation Post (AOP) Squadron Royal Air Force (RAF) formed up on 22 January 1945 at RAF Andover as a Royal Canadian Air Force AOP Squadron. Under command of Major NW Reilander, the Squadron moved to RAF Oatlands Hill, Wiltshire, prior to deploying to Glize, Holland, on 25 April 1945. The Squadron took over support for 1 and 2 Canadian Corps and the 21 Army Group. After 'B' Flight had assisted in the siege operations at Dunkirk the Squadron advanced into Germany but subsequently retirned to Holland to act as a communications squadron. Command of the Squadron was assumed by Captain WK Buchanan on 10 July 1945. 665 (RCAF) AOP Sqn RAF was disbanded on 10 July 1945.
The Squadron was reformed as an Army Air Corps unit in November 1971, remaining in Colchester until they were renumbered and amalgamated with 657 Squadron Army Air Corps in April 1978. The Squadron was again reformed on 1 April 1986 at Aldergrove, Northern Ireland, where they formed part of 5 Regiment Army Air Corps.
Squadron motto - 'Providence'.
Squadron badge history - In November 1987 a new badge was conferred upon the Squadron which bore the maple leaf, in honour of the Squadron's origins and a harp to represent its deployment in Northern Ireland.