662 (Air Observation Post) Squadron Royal Air Force (RAF) formed up on 30 September 1943 at RAF Old Sarum, Wiltshire, with the Auster Mk3 which gave way to the Auster Mk4 in March 1944. Their first Commanding Officer was Major GA Hill. The Squadron went overseas to Normandy and the first landed on 8 June 1944. 662 (AOP) Sqn RAF soon became involved in operations, particularly in observing the fire of ships of the Royal Navy against land targets. The Squadron was in active operations throughout the remainder of the campaign in North West Europe until it was disbanded on 15 December 1945 at Melsbroek in Belgium. Post war the Squadron was reformed on 1 May 1949 as No 662 Royal Auxiliary Air Force (RAuxAF) Squadron, located at RAF Colerne and comprised a number of detached flights. These detached flights were 1956 Flight at RAF Colerne, 1962 Flight at RAF Middle Wallop and 1963 Flight at RAF Colerne. 662 RAuxAF Sqn was disbanded on 10 March 1957 along with all RAuxAF flying squadrons. The Squadron became part of the AAC in 1971 when they were reformed as part of 3 Regiment Army Air Corps in Soest, Germany, until the draw down of the Regiment at the end of 1992. With the centralisation of aircraft types in 2007 the Squadron was designated an Attack Helicopter Squadron and equipped with the Apache AH Mk1 battlefield helicopter. 662 Sqn AAC is located at Wattisham, Suffolk.
Squadron motto - 'Olethrion Omma' or 'Death dealing eye'.
Squadron badge heraldry - In front of two shells in saltire, an eagle's head erased.