The Squadron also conducts Qualified Helicopter Instructor training as well as refresher training for qualified pilots after non-flying tours of duty. The Apache AH Mk1, powered by Rolls Royce engines and fitted with the Helicopter Integrated Defensive Aids Suite (HIDAS) for self-protection is the British Army's first dedicated Attack Helicopter.
673 Squadron was formed up as part of 344 Wing RAF on 1 January 1945 at Bikram, India, as a glider squadron with the intention of being used for airborne operations by South East Asia Command. 344 Wing consisted of the following three Squadrons:
671 Squadron RAF - formed at Bikram on 31 December 1944, disbanded 25 October 1945.
672 Squadron RAF - formed at Bikram on 16 November 1944, disbanded 1 July 1946.
673 Squadron RAF - formed at Bikram on 1 January 1945, disbanded 25 October 1945.
673 Squadron continued to train, as part of No. 344 Wing, until the surrender of Japan when it became surplus to requirement. Both 343 and 344 Wing were never used in operations and disbanded between October 1945 and July 1946. The majority of the manpower transferred to 670 Squadron, part of 343 Wing, prior to returning back to the United Kingdom via Palestine.
On 1 April 2003, 673 Squadron was reformed for Attack Helicopter Training at the School of Army Aviation (SAAvn), Middle Wallop, subsequently retitled the Army Aviation Centre (AACen) on 1 August 2009.
The Squadron badge is a stylised black panther on a white background, designed by the SAAvn, now AACen, Media Centre in 2003.
Squadron motto - 'Cavere primae tenebrae' or 'Beware first darkness'.