In June 1990 668 (Training) Squadron Army Air Corps (668 (Trg) Sqn AAC) was formed at the School of Army Aviation, Middle Wallop. The role of the Squadron is to provide Phase Two and Phase Three signals, groundcrew and tactical refuel training. 668 (Trg) Sqn AAC also provides Junior and Senior Command, Leadership and Management courses for Junior and Senior Non-Commissioned Officers and the Ground Support Commanders Course for Army Air Corps Officers.
On 1 January 1945, six squadrons were formed, numbered 668 to 673 in India for airborne assaults in South East Asia. The Squadrons 668, 669 and 670 were part of 344 Wing based at Basal Airfield, India. The intended role of the squadrons was to provide Horsa gliders to be towed by DC-3 aircraft for airborne assault missions, however, due to the high temperature and humid climates this proved unsuccessful. The DC-3 aircraft were used and piloted by RAF and Glider Pilot Regiment personnel to drop supplies and paratroops as well as liaison tasks. Once operations were completed 668 Squadron returned to the United Kingdom and was disbanded, in common with many other units.
On 1 December 1969, 668 Aviation Squadron formed from 13 Flt Army Air Corps and were attached to the resident Infantry Battalion, based in the Oman. The rotary aircraft operated was the De Havilland Beaver; used for liaison and supply drops as well as support to the RAF Search and Rescue aircraft, dropping flares for night time casualty evacuation. The Squadron also operated the Sioux and Scout rotary aircraft, used for top cover, reconnaissance and liaison tasks, as well as being the platform for the forerunner of the door gunner role used on current operations.
At the end of 1971 the British Protectorate of the Arab States ceased and the Squadron was disbanded on their return to the United Kingdom.
The Squadron badge is comprised of two Arab knives (Khumjahs) reflecting the location (Sharjah) of the unit at their formation. The propeller distinguishes the badge from that of the local forces. 668 Squadron was originally a Royal Air Force Glider Squadron from 1944-1946.
Squadron motto - 'Vigilance'