Current Army Air Corps Badge or 'Brevet' from 1957
On 16 July 1957 a meeting of the Army Dress Committee approved the wearing of the Army Flying Badge, illustrated above, by all qualified pilots of the Army Air Corps and the Air Observation Post pilot badge was discontinued. The original Army Flying Badge was altered in 1953, to incorporate the Queen’s Crown to reflect the accession to the throne and subsequent coronation, of Queen Elizabeth II.
Air Observation Post Badge from 1948
On 8 September 1948 Army Council Instructions 808 approved a special flying badge for Air Observation Post officer pilots to wear, instead of the Army Flying Badge. It was to be 'a pair of pale blue wings with a grenade and scroll beneath in old gold bearing the motto 'UBIQUE' (Latin for 'Everywhere') superimposed in the centre in red, the whole on a black background.' A stylised version of the badge is shown above.
Army Flying Badge from 1942
On 11 April 1942 Army Council Instructions 768 approved an Army Flying Badge to be worn by Air Observation Post and Glider Pilot Regiment pilots. It was to be 'a pair of pale blue wings with the Royal Crest superimposed in the centre, the whole upon a black background' or as it was less formally known, the 'Lion with Blue Wings'.