The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards are Scotland’s most senior and only regular cavalry regiment, formed in 1678. The Regiment has recently re-rolled to Light Cavalry after 75 years in tanks and has also moved from Germany to Fife. The Regiment is currently undergoing training to be at readiness as the Light Cavalry Regiment of choice.
The new role of Light Cavalry is at the forefront of the British Army’s organisation, primarily as a mounted combat unit, but also working alongside other armies around the world.
The Regiment’s Home Headquarters is in Edinburgh Castle. The Colonel of the Regiment and the Regimental Secretary have offices there. The Regimental Museum is also there, where the history of the Regiment is explained in a state-of-the-art exhibition high up in the Castle itself.
The serving regiment is currently based in Leuchars, Fife, where they are based in Waterloo lines and are part of 51 Brigade.
As part of the Light Cavalry Role soldiers from the SCOT DG can be posted across the globe on Exercises, Training Teams or Operations; however Fife will remain the regiment’s home.